Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The time has come

I've been saying goodbye to people.

I went cycling west the 20 km to the Rhine with my maths friend Clemens. It was a gloriously sunny day that looked like New Zealand February rather than German; the countryside was yellowed and very slightly rolling, with fields and apple orchards and vinyards and a couple of typically delicious villages. We hit the Rhine at the smallish old town of Breisach, puffed up a hill to its cathedral, and ate lunch looking out across the river to France. Then we lurched and bumped the steep cobblestoned way down.

I met my neighbour and fellow exchange student Alex on the trams, and elicited within moments both that she was sad to see me go and that she'd happily take all my furniture off my hands. So we spent much of the next day or so transferring carpet and curtains and chest of drawers and kitchen utensils down the stairs of my building and up the elevator of hers. My room's nearly emptied now.

I went out for lunch with my floormate Max. I went out for ice cream with my exchange student friends Alyssa and Vanessa. I ate cake with Elliot.

Emily I'm meeting for dinner now; her job is to keep me from dejection on my last night in Freiburg.

No comments: